We're Hiring: Outreach Services Social Worker
Durham College Students Inc.
POSITION: Outreach Services Social Worker
JOB TYPE: 52 Weeks Mat leave
REPORTS TO: Outreach Services Manager
SALARY: $46, 952.22 (until July 14, 2019 as per the Collective Agreement)
$48,126.03 (as of July 15, 2019 as per the Collective Agreement)
Durham College Students Inc. is designed to promote and improve the student experience here at Durham College. Built by Durham College students, for Durham College students, the association is looking for dedicated leaders to join our team of skilled individuals to build the future of Durham College’s student government.
The purpose of the Outreach Services Social Worker is to address social, academic, issues community engagement by providing counseling and support services to marginalized students within the Durham College Community. In addition to providing counseling and support services, the Outreach Services Social Worker completes tasks related to event administration, and assists all events coordinated by the Outreach Services department. The Outreach Services Social Worker facilitates volunteer training, as well as schedules and supervises volunteers.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides counseling services including: one-on-one counseling sessions; assessments; group facilitation; crisis intervention; support to drop-in students; peer support; psycho- education; referrals, etc.;
- Performs administrative duties including: record keeping and safeguarding measures; statistics for Outreach Services; etc.;
- Performs food bank duties which include unloading and stocking items, cleaning the food bank, taking out the garbage, etc.;
- Maintains community partnerships; this includes attending community events, supporting community and campus partners, facilitating community events, providing workshops and/or other forms of support to campus and community partners, etc.;
- Participates in professional development, a mandatory requirement of Registered Social Workers;
- Trains and supervises students/volunteers who assist in Outreach Services;
- Additional tasks assigned by the Employer's Representative as needed, within reason and considering workload
- Completion of a Bachelors of Social Work and the ability to register in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service as a Registered Social Worker is required
- Knowledge regarding Ontario Human Rights Code
- 1+ years work experience in an organization focused on community outreach;
- Understanding of anti oppressive practices of equity seeking groups;
- Experience providing social services in an educational environment is strongly preferred;
- Experience working with diverse populations including Immigrants, and other equity seeking groups; and
- An understanding of issues surrounding food security, homelessness, parental and domestic violence, and disabilities.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Evening and weekend work may be required. Working with clients with unpredictable
behavioris a risk associated with this position
- Ability to travel between multiple campus locations
- Lifting over 10 kg, transporting heavy articles